Real thoughts from a Mexican-German female traveling alone in South America:
- Ok, the bus is definitely going to drop me off on a street corner. Good. What’s my weapon?
- Crap. I have no weapons.
- Kick him in the balls if he tries to take my bag.
- This bunk bed is definitely going to break.
- This boat is definitely going to sink.
- Maybe I’ll get a tattoo!
- Is the drink this man bought me safe or is it poisoned?
- It’s probably poisoned.
- I had a shower before bed. So why are my fingernails so dirty?
- If I don’t peddle much faster on this bike, that rabid dog will most certainly kill me.
- Maybe that kind-looking homeless woman will watch my bag while I go pee.
- I’m so proud of myself!
In summary: I didn’t die from rabies, boat capsizing, or poison; and I didn’t get a tattoo. But I did South America, and it was fucking awesome.
See you soon, Canada. xo.