Great comprehensive overview of the evidence surrounding ingesting castor oil to induce labour in late term pregnancy.
Did you know?
- About 25-30% of midwifery clients in Ontario plan a home birth. All women have the right to a choice of birthplace.
- Since 1994, medically trained midwives have attended approximately 25,000 home births in Ontario.
- About 21% of all midwifery births in Ontario are at home. The remaining 79% of midwifery births are in hospital.
- Two midwives attend every home birth, one to manage the labour and care for mom, while the other prioritizes baby. Then they both help clean your house!
- Research shows that perinatal and neonatal mortality rates are equal between home and hospital births for normal, low risk pregnancies.
- Women who plan a hospital birth have a cesarean delivery rate of 8.1%, whereas only 5.2% of women who choose a home birth move to hospital for a cesarean delivery.
- The most common reasons for transfer to hospital are for pain relief (epidurals are not offered at home) and slow labour progress, not some sort of impending doom emergency.
Now you know too! Share with your friends!
- 2009 research study by Dr. E. Hutton comparing outcomes of planned home and hospital birth attended by midwives in Ontario.
- Association of Ontario Midwives
- Facts about home birth in Ontario, Woman Care Midwives
Women expecting who are over 35 years now account for 17% of all pregnancies and 17.44% all live births in Canada.
This fact brought to you by: the Society of Obstetrician and Gynecologists of Canada, Guideline #296.