When I found out about my Dad, I was sitting in my new apartment surrounded by unpacked boxes, crying. But after a while I took a moment to take in my surroundings:
- I’m sitting in a stupid cup chair, in the dark.
- My eyes are so puffy, I look like one of my close Japanese friends.
- I have no internet.
- I’m watching The Notebook on my laptop, because a movie about two people dying was definitely going to make me feel better.
- I just had a new mattress delivered up 3 flights of stairs that I am now going to have to return somehow.
- Oh good, my cat just pooped in the litter box. Her shit stinks.
- I’m so, so poor.
- It’s so humid and hot outside, I’m sweating just sitting. In the cup chair.
I was on the phone with a friend when I had this realization and we just started laughing. Because it was so depressing that it almost felt like an SNL skit, where they just keep adding more and more tragic things to the surroundings. I was just waiting for someone to knock on my door and tell me I had jury duty, or some sort of other dreadful, cataclysmic news.
It felt really good to laugh, though. What else could I do?